Surya means sun, bheda means to pierce/awaken. In the body pingala nadi represents the energy of the Sun or vital energy, Surya bhedan therefore means to pierce or purify pingala nadi.
Inhale through the right nostril, exhale through the left nostril.
- Increases vital energy in the body.
- Heats the body.
- Stimulates the sympathetic nervous system and the left part of the brain.
- Eliminates wind or gas related trouble (Vata) and
- Helps to balances mucus (Kapha)
- Helps to balance acidity (Pitta)
Precautions & Contra-indications
Avoid if there is high blood pressure, heart disease, epilepsy, ulcer, acidity, hyperthyroidism, anxiety, headache or menstruation.